Skip to content

Get answers to common questions

Need a quick answer to a frequently asked question? We’ve got you covered.

 Reporting Questions

How do I report possible child sexual abuse material?

All information regarding possible child sexual exploitation should be reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) by calling 1-800-THE-LOST (843-5678) or submitting through their CyberTipline.

Note: Please do not share or distribute child sexual abuse material (CSAM), even in an attempt to report it. Not only is it illegal, but it spreads the content across the internet, further victimizing the child and making removal more difficult.

My child is being blackmailed, threatened, or sextorted online.

Sextortion is when someone blackmails or threatens to expose a sexual image of a person in order to make that person do something they don’t want to do, like send more photos or send money. If you or your child is experiencing this, know that you are not alone and there is hope to get to the other side. Get help here. Learn more about sextortion here.

Additional resources are available to help support you and your child through this:

My child is being pressured to share explicit photos with someone online.

We’re sorry you and your child are going through this. If the person pressuring your child to share nudes is a stranger, it’s critical to support your child in following these steps:

  1. Do not share any images.
  2. Save all communication between your child and the person requesting the imagery.
  3. Block the person, but do not delete your child’s profile or messages. 
  4. Report solicitation to the platform. 
  5. Make a report to NCMEC’s CyberTipline at

If the person is a friend or romantic partner, it may be an unhealthy relationship and early signs of grooming or sextortion. Start by creating a safe space for trusted conversations with your child and encourage them not to participate in this behavior. You can find resources for helping your child navigate these risky situations and mitigate potential abuse here.

My child’s nude images were leaked.

The best thing you can do for your child right now is be there for them unconditionally and show them there is hope to get to the other side. Chances are, your child is already feeling the gravity of the situation and you’re best positioned to provide them with care and a safe space. NCMEC has created a guide for reporting and removing content from social media platforms here.

  Issue Questions

What is child sexual abuse material (CSAM)?

Child sexual abuse material (CSAM) refers to content that depicts sexually explicit activities involving a child. Child sexual abuse images and videos are most often documented with the purpose of being shared widely for others to watch, and in so doing, victimizes the child many times over. Learn more about CSAM.

What is sextortion?

Sextortion is a form of sexual exploitation where one individual threatens to reveal sexually explicit images of another person unless that person meets specific demands. The perpetrator may have obtained the images in multiple ways. They may have hacked a device, or recorded an image without consent. In some cases, the image may have been shared consensually. Regardless of how the image was obtained, if the sharing of that image is not consensual, the perpetrator is engaging in an act of abuse by using intimate images to exploit the victim.

Do you have resources for parents and caregivers?

Yes. Thorn for Parents offers resources and tips to help you have important, productive, and judgment-free conversations with your child to support them in navigating today’s online risks and prevent abuse. The help page offers answers to time-sensitive questions you might have if your child is currently experiencing a risky situation.

Do you have resources for youth?

Yes. NoFiltr is our peer-to-peer prevention program that helps teens learn about how to protect themselves from online threats through discussions with other youth. 

If there are young people in your life, tell them about NoFiltr, a community of shared experiences and real talk about navigating online risks.

Do you provide resources or curriculum for educators?

Yes. You can find tips for keeping your classroom safe and a collection of curriculum resources here.

Donor Questions

Will I receive a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes. If you donate on our website, a receipt will automatically be emailed to you. If you donated via check, wire, or stock, we will email or mail you a receipt.

I donated online, but did not receive a receipt. Can you send a new one?

If you do not receive a receipt, please contact us at with confirmation of your full name and email address used to make the donation.

How can I stop or make changes to my monthly gift?

You can manage your monthly gift any time in the Giving by Funraise mobile app by creating an account with the email address used to start your donation. You can also email our team at for help updating your payment method, changing your gift amount, or canceling.

How can I fundraise for Thorn?

The best way to fundraise is directly through Thorn, and we’re happy to help you start your online campaign. If you’re planning on sending a lump sum contribution after a fundraising event, please feel free to donate online. Thank you for being a force for good and inspiring others to join you in supporting Thorn’s mission!

I am interested in donating a larger gift. Who should I contact?

Please reach out to us at, and include Major Gift in the subject line. We appreciate your generosity!

Do you accept stock donations?

Yes, we have the ability to accept stock donations. Please send an email to and include Stock Donation in the subject line.

Our stock donation information is as follows:

Brokerage: City National Bank
DTC# 0226
Account# MGR-199827
NFS A/C# MGR-199827
Notify: John Vizcarra – 213-673-8878,

Do you accept cryptocurrency donations?

We do accept Bitcoin through Bitpay. You can give through Thorn’s Bitpay wallet here.

If you have other cryptocurrency you’d like to donate, please reach out to us at and include Cryptocurrency in the subject line.

Can I mail Thorn a check donation?

Yes. For check donations, please make the check out to Thorn and mail to:

222 Pacific Coast Highway, 10th Floor
El Segundo, CA 90245

 General Questions

Does Thorn offer grants to other organizations?

As much as we would love to support every cause, we are not a grantmaking organization. All donations are channeled into our products and programmatic work.

How else can I help?

Thank you for your interest in supporting our mission even further! There are many great ways to advance our efforts beyond donating. Here are some good places to start:

  1. Share our parenting and youth resources with the parents and youth in your life to help prevent abuse.
  2. Learn how to help your own children navigate the internet safely.
  3. Share Thorn’s research with your community of friends and family.
  4. Sign up for our newsletter at to stay up to date on the issue.
  5. Help spread the word through your social networks, and by re-sharing our social posts on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, or X to increase awareness of this issue.
  6. Consider starting a fundraiser to amplify our impact.

Any one of these initiatives will help increase awareness of the issue and move us toward a world where the joy of being a kid is protected. We’re grateful to have your support!

Is Thorn hiring?

You can find all open positions in the Careers section of our website.

Didn’t find what you were looking for? Contact us.